Electrical Safety In Your Home
During the winter months it is important to be careful of the hazards when heating your home with Space Heaters, Home Heating, Fireplace or Outdoor Fires, and Furnaces. If you use extension cords, make sure you are using them property or they can start fires.
Overloads easily occur when you have too many devices plugged into one outlet. They also occur when the wiring and connections get old. Over time, the expansion and contraction from surrounding air will loosen the wiring where it connects to other objects such as at the electrical outlet.
The extension cords should never be attached to each other or else they can slip apart or spark electricity and catch delicate materials on fire.
There are many things to think about with fire safety other than the electrical safety in your home, but electrical fires are one of the top causes of fire.
Be sure to use your home heating equipment according to manufacturer recommendations and have a
professional inspect your chimney and furnace prior to using them so you can ensure they are operating properly.
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas.
CO poisoning is associated with consumer products, including generators and other products which include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.
Keep gas generators away from homes & garages. If your fire alarm does sound, immediately exit the house and call 9-1-1. Seek shelter in an auto or at a neighbor’s house.
Replace old batteries in your Carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are operational. Keep Dryer Vents/Exhaust Vents clear of snow and ice.
Some Other Safety Tips:
- Alternative heaters need their space. Keep anything that can catch fire at least three feet away.
- Make sure your alternative heaters have ‘tip switches.’ These ‘tip switches’ are designed to automatically turn off the heater in the event they tip over.
- Only use the type of fuel recommended by the manufacturer and follow suggested guidelines.
- Never refill a space heater while it is operating or still hot. Refuel heaters only outdoors.
- Make sure wood stoves are properly installed, and at least three feet away from anything that can catch fire.
- Ensure they have the proper floor support and adequate ventilation.
- Use a glass or metal screen in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting nearby carpets, furniture or other items that can catch fire.
- Do not use the kitchen oven range to heat your home. In addition to being a fire hazard, it can be a source of toxic fumes.
- Keep Dryer Vents/Exhaust Vents clear of snow and ice.
- Fire Place Screen: Use a metal or glass fireplace screen to keep sparks from hitting nearby carpets or furniture. Keep kindling, paper, and décor away from fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Space Heater Safety: Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn – including furniture, blankets, curtains, and paper products.